Взрыв на заводе по производству боеприпасов KNDS недалеко от Рима: что известно на данный момент

13 августа 2026 года во второй половине дня на заводе KNDS Ammo Italy в Коллеферро, расположенном примерно в 40 километрах к юго-востоку от Рима, произошел мощный взрыв. Взрыву предшествовал пожар в цехе прессования пороха... ...

Сообщение Planet-Today.com. Перевод заголовка и краткого описания выполнен автоматически.


A powerful explosion struck the KNDS Ammo Italy factory in Colleferro, about 40 kilometres southeast of Rome, on the afternoon of 13 August 2026. The blast, preceded by a fire in the powder-pressing department, was heard for kilometres. Authorities say the situation is under control and no casualties have been reported.

Explosion Rocks KNDS Ammunition Plant Near Rome — No Injuries Reported
Source: Video Screenshot

Key Takeaways by Planet Today

The incident: Fire followed by a major explosion at the former Simmel Difesa plant, now operated by KNDS Ammo Italy, part of the Franco-German defence group KNDS.
Location and timing: Colleferro, Lazio region. The event occurred during the summer holiday period when only a reduced workforce (around 20–24 people) was on site.
Casualties: Early reports from emergency services, the mayor and local media indicate no deaths or injuries and no missing employees.
Immediate response: Firefighters, carabinieri and police were already dealing with the fire when the explosion occurred. Complex safety operations continued; full access to the precise blast site was initially restricted.
Investigation: The Velletri prosecutor’s office has opened a file. Initial working hypothesis is an industrial incident; causes remain under examination.

Shortly after 15:00 local time on Thursday, 13 August 2026, a violent explosion shook the industrial area of Colleferro. Residents across the town and neighbouring municipalities reported a loud boom and a large plume of smoke. Italian carabinieri confirmed the event to AFP, stating that firefighters and police were on site and that “complex operations” were underway.

According to multiple Italian news outlets and Reuters, the blast followed a fire that had broken out in the plant’s powder-pressing (pressatura polveri) department — the area where explosives and propellants are processed. The facility, previously known as Simmel Difesa, is now owned and operated by KNDS Ammo Italy, a subsidiary of the Franco-German defence group KNDS.

Colleferro mayor Giulio Calamita told reporters the situation was under control. He said he was awaiting final official confirmation that there were no casualties, adding that the explosion occurred while the plant was largely closed for the summer holidays. “Otherwise it would have been a tragedy,” he noted. Limited damage was reported in the nearest residential area, mainly broken windows.

What the Plant Produces

KNDS Ammo Italy manufactures medium- and large-calibre ammunition for land and naval defence systems. It also produces solid propellants used in aerospace launch vehicles. The company is listed among contractors under European Defence Agency framework agreements for 155 mm ammunition concluded in 2023, reflecting its role in current European efforts to expand artillery shell production capacity.

The site has a long industrial history. It once belonged to Bombrini Parodi Delfino (BPD) and later operated as Simmel Difesa under British ownership before passing to the KNDS group. The local landscape still carries the memory of earlier accidents: a catastrophic double explosion in 1938 killed around 60 people, and a 2007 incident at the then-Simmel Difesa plant left one worker dead and 13 injured.

Safety Context and Ongoing Inquiry

Ammunition and explosives manufacturing is inherently high-risk. Plants of this type are subject to strict Italian and European Seveso-type industrial safety regulations governing the storage and processing of energetic materials. The fact that the fire and subsequent explosion were contained to one department, and that the reduced summer staffing limited exposure, appears to have prevented a more serious outcome.

Investigators from the Colleferro carabinieri and the Frascati investigative unit are on site. The Velletri prosecutor has opened a file; early reports indicate the provisional hypothesis is an accidental fire leading to the detonation of materials in the pressing area. Employees present at the time are expected to be interviewed. No credible public information has pointed to external attack or sabotage; the working assumption remains an industrial accident.

“The situation is under control… It was a massive explosion felt throughout the town. Operations to extinguish the remaining fires are underway.” — Giulio Calamita, Mayor of Colleferro

Broader European Defence Production Backdrop

Europe has been expanding domestic ammunition production since 2022 in response to increased demand linked to the war in Ukraine and broader rearmament programmes. Framework contracts for 155 mm shells and related munitions have drawn in multiple industrial players, including KNDS entities. Incidents at production sites, even when they result in no casualties, inevitably draw attention to capacity, safety margins and the physical risks of scaling up energetic-material manufacturing.

At the same time, the absence of injuries in this case, combined with the rapid official communication that the situation was contained, stands in contrast to the more severe historical accidents at the same location. That contrast will likely feature in any subsequent safety review.

Two Additional Notes

First, early access difficulties for firefighters — common when unexploded or unstable energetic materials may still be present — explain why full assessment of structural damage and residual hazards takes time. Second, the plant’s dual role (conventional ammunition plus aerospace propellants) means any prolonged shutdown could have effects beyond pure defence supply chains, though no such disruption has been confirmed.

Current Status

As of the evening of 13 August 2026, emergency services continued extinguishing residual fires and securing the site. No casualties have been reported by the mayor, emergency sources or major Italian and international wires. The company had not issued an immediate detailed public statement. The prosecutor’s investigation will determine the precise sequence of events and any responsibilities under industrial safety law.

The explosion is a significant industrial incident at a strategically relevant European munitions facility. The fortunate absence of human casualties does not remove the need for a thorough technical and regulatory examination of how a fire in the powder-pressing area progressed to a large-scale detonation.


Primary sources: Reuters, 13 August 2026 — report; la Repubblica, Il Sole 24 Ore, La Stampa and local Italian coverage of the same day; statements by Colleferro mayor Giulio Calamita; historical records of the 1938 and 2007 incidents at the site.

Disclaimer: This article summarises information available from official and media sources as of the evening of 13 August 2026. Cause determination and final casualty figures remain subject to the ongoing investigation. Readers should consult updates from Italian authorities and the company for the latest confirmed details.

Отправить комментарий

Здесь вы можете оставить свой комментарий

Новые Старые

Форма для связи