Канцлер Кембриджа осудил «расистскую истерию» после смерти Джейсона Ардея

Крис Смит, канцлер Кембриджского университета, заявил, что обвинения в плагиате в адрес любого ученого должны тщательно расследоваться, при этом отказавшись участвовать в том, что он назвал «р ...

Сообщение Planet-Today.com. Перевод заголовка и краткого описания выполнен автоматически.


Lord Chris Smith, chancellor of the University of Cambridge, has stated that plagiarism claims against any academic must be rigorously investigated while refusing to participate in what he called a “racist feeding frenzy.” The remarks follow the death of Jason Arday, the university’s youngest Black professor, who resigned amid widespread allegations of plagiarism and questions about his personal record.

Cambridge Chancellor Rejects ‘Racist Feeding Frenzy’ While Defending Academic Scrutiny
Source: Pixabay

Key Takeaways by Planet Today

The dual principle: Smith affirmed both the necessity of investigating plagiarism rigorously and the refusal to join racially charged public attacks on a particular academic.

Sequence of events: Arday resigned on 5 August 2026 after Cambridge announced an investigation into his qualifications and ongoing complaints of academic misconduct. He was found dead at his London home on 14 August; police described the death as unexpected but not suspicious.

Allegations and prior clearance: Detailed claims of extensive textual overlap in Arday’s 2015 PhD thesis and other work were published in late July. Liverpool John Moores University, which awarded the doctorate, had previously cleared him. Cambridge later opened its own inquiry into the appointment process.

Public response: Arday’s family cited a “misinformation campaign.” A fundraising page exceeded £146,000 and a petition for a public inquiry into media coverage gathered more than 30,000 signatures. Vigils were planned by Stand Up To Racism.

Political cross-currents: Figures across the spectrum offered differing emphases—some highlighting possible racial motivation in the intensity of scrutiny, others stressing failures of institutional due diligence in senior appointments.

On Monday 17 August 2026, Cambridge University chancellor Lord Chris Smith addressed the intense public controversy that surrounded Jason Arday in the weeks before his death. Speaking to the BBC, Smith said it was possible—and necessary—to hold two positions simultaneously: that claims of plagiarism against any academic, regardless of identity, must be rigorously investigated, and that one should refuse to join “a racist feeding frenzy over a particular academic.”

Arday, 41, had been appointed professor of the sociology of education at Cambridge in 2023 and was widely celebrated as the institution’s youngest Black professor. He resigned on 5 August after the university announced it had begun an investigation following “new information” about his academic qualifications and honorary appointments, alongside ongoing complaints of academic misconduct. Nine days later he was found unresponsive at his home in Battersea, south London, and pronounced dead at the scene. Metropolitan Police said the death was being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious.

How the Controversy Unfolded

Public allegations intensified in late July 2026 after detailed comparisons of Arday’s 2015 doctoral thesis with earlier work by another scholar were circulated, first in a newsletter by Nathan Cofnas (a former Cambridge researcher known for controversial views on race and intelligence) and subsequently in mainstream reporting. Side-by-side textual analysis published by outlets including the Daily Telegraph identified numerous passages described as identical or near-identical. Questions also arose about certain claims Arday had made regarding athletic endurance feats and large-scale charity fundraising.

Arday consistently denied being a plagiarist or a fabricator. He acknowledged errors in early work while rejecting the broader portrayal of him as a liar. Liverpool John Moores University, the institution that awarded his PhD, conducted a confidential procedure and cleared him of wrongdoing. Cambridge initially referred complaints to that university and to relevant journals; only after further information emerged did it open its own investigation into the circumstances of his appointment and subsequent time at the university. Vice-Chancellor Deborah Prentice later confirmed that the inquiry would examine those processes and that the university’s research misconduct policy would also be reviewed.

In his resignation statement Arday said he had “reached the limits of what any person should reasonably be expected to endure” and no longer wished to live under constant public examination. He insisted the decision should not be read as acceptance of the narratives surrounding him.

Reactions After the Death

Arday’s family described themselves as in shock and blamed a “misinformation campaign.” An online fundraising appeal for the family quickly surpassed £146,000. A petition organised through the Good Law Project, calling for a public inquiry into the media coverage and describing the period before his death as “two weeks of relentless harassment,” attracted more than 30,000 signatures, including from public figures such as Diane Abbott and Jameela Jamil. Stand Up To Racism announced vigils in London and Cambridge.

Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham, a Cambridge alumnus, called the death “a tragedy on so many levels.” Shadow housing secretary Sir James Cleverly told the BBC that some of the scrutiny was “quite possibly” motivated by racism, while also arguing that the situation would not have reached this point if universities—including but not limited to Cambridge—had conducted more robust due diligence on senior appointments. Cleverly’s remarks captured the dual nature of much of the commentary: acknowledgment of possible racial animus in the tone and volume of coverage, alongside criticism of institutional failures to verify credentials thoroughly.

Competing Interpretations

One perspective, voiced by Arday’s supporters, family and some activists, holds that a Black academic who had become a high-profile symbol of diversity was subjected to a level of personal and professional scrutiny that went far beyond ordinary academic dispute and amounted to a sustained campaign with racial undercurrents. They point to the intensity of media attention, the involvement of figures with prior records of controversial racial commentary, and the human cost that followed.

An alternative perspective, advanced by critics of the original appointment and by some academic commentators, maintains that evidence of extensive textual overlap and unresolved questions about biographical claims required examination regardless of the identity of the scholar involved. From this view, the failure of multiple institutions to detect or act on warning signs earlier, combined with an initial institutional reluctance to re-examine the case, itself raises questions about whether standards were applied consistently. Several analyses published after the resignation argued that the episode exposed weaknesses in verification processes when identity and narrative aligned with institutional priorities.

Neither interpretation is mutually exclusive in every respect. It is possible for legitimate questions about scholarly integrity to be pursued in a climate that also contains racialised hostility, and for institutional systems to fail both in protecting individuals from harassment and in upholding uniform academic standards. The chancellor’s statement attempted to hold both concerns in tension.

Two Contextual Notes

First, the allegations that became public in 2026 had circulated in more limited academic circles since at least 2023, the year of Arday’s Cambridge appointment. The gap between private concerns and public explosion of the story is itself part of the institutional record now under review. Second, Cambridge is not alone: other universities that had employed Arday earlier in his career announced their own examinations of the circumstances of those appointments after the Cambridge investigation was disclosed.

Readers interested in related questions of academic standards, institutional accountability and the intersection of identity politics with scholarly norms may find useful background in broader coverage of research integrity debates across UK higher education.

What Remains Open

A coroner’s process will address the immediate circumstances of Arday’s death. Cambridge’s internal investigation into the appointment and related processes continues. Liverpool John Moores University’s earlier clearance stands as a formal finding, even as new textual comparisons remain in the public domain. The petition for a media inquiry and the fundraising appeal reflect ongoing public engagement with the human and institutional dimensions of the case.

The episode leaves two durable questions that extend beyond any single individual. How should universities balance the duty to investigate credible claims of academic misconduct with the duty to protect staff from disproportionate or identity-based harassment? And how robust are the verification mechanisms that accompany high-profile appointments when those appointments also serve institutional narratives about diversity and inclusion? Lord Smith’s insistence that both academic integrity and the rejection of racialised pile-ons must be upheld simultaneously is one institutional answer. Whether that dual standard can be applied consistently in practice is the larger test the case has placed before British higher education.


Primary sources: BBC reporting of Lord Chris Smith’s remarks, 17 August 2026 — BBC; Metropolitan Police statements on the death; University of Cambridge statements on the investigation and Vice-Chancellor Prentice’s notices; Arday’s resignation statement; contemporaneous reporting by The Guardian, The New York Times, The Atlantic and others on the plagiarism allegations and biographical questions; family and petition statements.

Disclaimer: This article summarises publicly reported events, official statements and documented allegations as of 17 August 2026. Jason Arday is deceased; the presumption of innocence applies to any unresolved allegations of misconduct. Police have stated the death is not believed to be suspicious. Readers should consult primary university, police and coronial sources for the most current formal findings.

Отправить комментарий

Здесь вы можете оставить свой комментарий

Новые Старые

Форма для связи